Race & Justice Center
HANOVER COUNTY, Va. (WRIC)– The same day that Ahmaud Arbery’s killers were sentenced for hate crimes a Hanover man spoke with 8News of a similar event he experienced. Ralph Mills said that just like Ahmaud Arbery, he was jogging when attacked unprovoked by a man...
Floyd Anniversary 5/25/21: Hanover NAACP President Discusses School Renamings, Criminal Justice, & More
RTD 5/25/21 - Floyd one year later: Patricia Hunter-Jordan on Hanover school renamings, seeking equity for students of color...
RTD 5/19/21 - Hanover NAACP President, Pat Hunter-Jordan speaks about what made George Floyd's death different. https://richmond.com/hanover-naacp-president-on-what-made-george-floyd-s-death-different/video_78fe1788-17e9-5ecc-ae8c-5ceea1d19122.html
We have watched with horror the Windsor Virginia police officer using pepper spray during a traffic stop on Caron Nazario, a second lieutenant in the U.S. Army. The Virginia NAACP is rightfully outraged by the actions of these police officers. Join us in urging Gov....
- Seek to eliminate harsh and unfair sentencing practices that are responsible for mass incarceration and racial disparities in the prison system
- Support and seek to increase trust and public safety by advancing effective law enforcement practices
- Fight for the restoration of the voting rights of formerly incarcerated people and the removal of barriers to employment
- Elevate the voices of crime victim survivors in order to identify and advance systemic breakdowns existing in the criminal justice system that perpetuate crime
- Resolve to end the war on drugs for its disproportionate collateral consequences harm communities of color
- Seek the institution and availability of alternatives to incarceration including education, employment, and mental health services
- Eliminate zero tolerance policies implemented in our schools which are keeping kids out of the classroom and putting them on a path from the schoolhouse to the jailhouse
- Investigate programs implemented in our local law enforcement agencies which derail from their main purpose of safety and order to conduct the work of federal agencies for which they do not have the capacity
- Seek budget modifications in states where incarceration receives more funding than education.